Monday 16 October 2017

Batman Arkham Knight - Game Review


Star Rating:⭐⭐⭐✩✩
Release Date: 23 June 2015

Over the course of this year I have been playing through the Batman Arkham series. My initial experience with this game was actually really terrible, as tried to play on my PC with a copy I bought off Steam. I downloaded a bunch of patches, etc, did everything I could but the game was virtually unplayable, so I got it refunded and thought that was the end of it. However, which the recent purchase of a PS4 I was able to play/watch, after several really time consuming updates. My partner has a tendency to hijack my games.
The story was good,if you can ignore the fact that they butchered several really famous Batman story lines and  don't expect any solid conclusion about the Arkham Knight. It was a little annoying to have to complete most of the side missions to reach the actual ending of the game, literally spent 12 hours just doing side quest at the end.
There were also significantly more jump scares in this game than the others; which did add to the thrill of play, but if you're like me it makes you super edgy for the rest of the day. Especially the Manbat one. The Joker is there to add some messed up comic relief afterward, but jokes from a psychotic serial killer gives little relief. 
The graphics still glitched out toward the end, making me think this was a half-baked game to begin with, and makes me feel sorry for those who paid full price for it. 
Can't say much about game play as, like I mentioned previously, my game got hijacked. But it seemed relevantly challenging, but there were a few times it wasn't clear which character you were playing, like that one part where Robin has to defuse 5 bombs without being spotted. I wish we could have played the other characters outside of their missions. It would have been interesting to see how Nightwing and Robin move about the city.
Another thing that annoyed was how much Alfred did in this game, which kind of took away some of the detective work that could have been quite interesting. 
Add then they go on about the Scarecrow's face being messed up, but you never actually see it. He's also less creepy and more ominous in this game, I preferred the Arkham Asylum one.
Mixed feelings about this one. Comics were better...

No comments:

Movie Review - Thor Ragnarok